Children and Extra
Servizi Camera: Conditioned Air, Internet, Televisione
La camera si trova al piano in cui si entra, subito a destra. Può essere matrimoniale/doppia o doppia uso singolo, ha riscaldamento autonomo/aria condizionata, TV sat, un tavolino a ribalta, un portavaligia e uno stand appendiabiti. Il bagno in camera è arredato con WC, lavandino, bidet, doccia e phone. La camera condivide con le altre due un mobile colazione (utilizzabile anche il pomeriggio per il tè o il caffe…), una fantastica terrazza al piano superiore che si affaccia sull’Etna e sul Mar Ionio ideale per fare colazione en plein air ed una piccola biblioteca con diversi volumi sulla Calabria ed in particolare sulla Calabria Greca.
Grandezza Camera: 3X4
Servizi Camera: Animals, Conditioned Air, Internet, Park and Garden, Televisione
La Camera è stata ricavata dalle antiche stalle e il recupero conservativo ha permesso di mantenere gli archi in pietra e di ricavare un piccolo bagno e un angolo cottura; è l’ideale per famiglie con bambini perchè ha l’entrata autonoma e essendo al piano terra si affaccia su una piazzetta ad uso esclusivo con pergola in cui fare colazione e giocare, ma anche riposarsi e dedicarsi alla lettura. E’ consigliata anche a coppie che non vogliono condividere spazi comuni. Riscaldamento autonomo/aria condizionata, nicchia apendiabiti, bagno con WC, lavandino, doccia, no bidet, phone, tv sat, angolo cottura accessoriato, letto matrimoniale ad una piazza e mezza, poltrona letto /culla per bambini.
Letti: Matrimoniale più una poltrona letto e una culla
Grandezza Camera: 4 mt x 5 mt
Servizi Camera: Conditioned Air, Internet, Televisione
La camera è ampia e può ospitare una piccola famiglia. Si accede scendendo le scale: l’utilizzo dello spazio permette di avere due ambienti separati ma contigui. Il primo ambiente ospita un letto matrimoniale/doppio, riscaldamento autonomo/aria condizionata tv sat, un portavaligia e uno stand appendiabiti. Il bagno è in camera ed ha wc, lavandino, doccia e phone (no bidet). Il secondo ambiente ha il riscaldamento autonomo/aria condizionata, è arredato con un divano letto ad una piazza e mezza, un tavolino a ribalta ed un piccolo bagno in camera con solo wc e lavandino. Ha in comune con le altre due camere un mobile colazione (utilizzabile anche il pomeriggio per il tè o il caffe…), una fantastica terrazza che si affaccia sul Mar Ionio e sull’Etna, ideale per fare colazione en plein air e una piccola biblioteca con volumi sulla Calabria ed in particolare sulla Calabria Greca.
Letti: matrimoniale/doppio e divano letto 1piazza e mezza
Grandezza Camera: 4 mt x 5 mt
Servizi Camera: Conditioned Air, Internet, Televisione
La camera è ideale per fumatori in quanto nel B&B è vietato fumare ma questa camera ha un bellissimo balconcino e quindi è comoda per chi proprio non ne può fare a meno. è una camera matrimoniale/doppia o doppia uso singolo con bagno in camera: doccia, bidet, phone, riscaldamento autonomo/aria condizionata, tv sat, un tavolino a ribalta, un portavaligia e uno stand appendiabiti. La camera situata al primo piano di fronte alla porta d’entrata condivide con le altre due camere l’utilizzo di un mobile cucina per la prima colazione (ma anche per un caffè/tè pomeridiano…), una fantastica terrazza al piano superiore che si affaccia sull’Etna e sul Mar Ionio ideale per fare colazione en plein air e una piccola biblioteca con volumi sulla Calabria ma soprattutto sulla Calabria Greca.
Grandezza Camera: 3mt X 4mt
Whoever chooses to stay at the Kalòs ìrtete stìn chòra (welcome to the town/city) B&B has the opportunity to meet people who love their land and, who, thanks to the family-owned B&B they run and informed by years of experience of the “widespread-hospitality” formula, seek to promote and foster a knowledge of the beauty, scents, colours and sounds of the Aspromonte and Mediterranean areas, indissolubly rooted in the culture, history and traditions of the Greeks of Calabria.
The KALÒS B&B is in Calabria, at Bova (Vùa), a fascinating mediaeval village in the province of Reggio Calabria at the gateway to the Parco Nazionale dell’Aspromonte [The National Park of Aspromonte], 900 metres above sea level and only 15 minutes from the Ionian Sea.
The village of Bova – one of the few villages in the Graecanic Area where the older generation still speaks Calabrian Greek– stands on a natural terrace from which one may admire the imposing, majestic Sicilian volcano, Mount Etna. The family which runs this guesthouse offers those who stay here the opportunity of becoming acquainted with this delightful microcosm of nature, history, culture, art, food and wine, while enjoying true Calabrian hospitality, characterised with great respect for privacy. The B&B, opened in 2010 and located in the centre of the old city, can be reached directly by car. The building was fully refurbished so that the spaces surrounding it are available to the guests only.
Its four en-suite rooms are furnished in a modern, practical style. The terrace overlooking the sea and the small courtyard with an arbour for the exclusive use of guests renting the only ground-floor room, make this B&B something really special.
Our history: widespread hospitality
The managers of the B & B, citizens active in this local-development endeavour, help guests who want to gain, not only a knowledge of the beauty the area offers, but also awareness of the fact that every one of us can do something to favour the legally sustainable development of the place where they live. They decided to open this guesthouse on the basis of this experience and fired by these aspirations.
By widespread hospitality is meant providing overnight accommodation in old houses in architecturally intact villages which are restored and also provide food and drink. The initiative was begun almost by chance in the early 1990’s thanks to the members of Bova’s San Leo Cooperative, including the husband of the owner of the Kalòs B&B.
This area’s distinctive accommodation model (similar to the British B & B, the South Tyrol garni, the Greek studios and the French chambre d’hotes) differs from all others because it focuses on things as they really are, without carrying out any radical changes to buildings and their morphology (as a total overhaul would entail). It also inspires the local people to renovate their homes and keep the centres of their villages alive, and discourages people from abandoning them.
This hosting style allows visitors to establish a true, privileged knowledge-favouring relationship with the host family so as to facilitate contact with the place and its traditions.
Breakfast provides commercial packaged foods that, where possible, respond to the zero –kilometre, also known as the short-chain, foodstuff criterion [local products that are produced / delivered / sold nearby] or those produced in the region: coffee, tea, chocolate, milk, chamomile, cereals, pastries, breads, jams, cheeses, eggs, meats, juices and seasonal fruit. Guests may have breakfast whenever they like and will find all they need to prepare it, self-service, of course. Guests may also use the kitchenette to make coffee / tea during the day and keep drinks cool in the fridge.
The B&B has a washing machine for the guests, available at certain hours and having made a request at the desk.
The B&B cooperates with the following:
The Restaurant Grecanico run by the Cooperativa San Leo seats about 50 indoors and 50 outside. It is located in a comfortable room heated by a large fireplace. It serves genuine products and typical seasonal local cuisine. Mobile phone + 39 3467159100
The Al Borgo Restaurant /Butcher’s shop /Local Produce outlet is a small family-run restaurant which seats about 20 indoors and 20 outside and serves local cuisine. Mobile phone: + 39 3389006739
La lestopitta Rotisserie / Pizza Take Away is small restaurant located just above the Locomotive standing in the square , with an attached indoor area that seats about 20. It offers mainly lestopitta, a bread, typical of Bova similar to Greek pitta, filled with sausage, aubergine, vegetables and whatever other available ingredients customers may prefer. Mobile phone: + 39 3492658552
The “Cantina di Bova” Winebar/Delicatessen is located near the main square in Bova and is a place where one can savour traditional appetisers with wine made from native grape varieties and produced by Bova’s Cantina Sociale [Cooperative winery] Mobile phone + 39 3478786594
The Kalòs Jerò [a locality near Bova] Rural hospitality farmstead. The guesthouse, located just before the entrance to the village, has a spacious restaurant with a number of different premises. It is possible to be served both inside and outside, where there is a playground for children. The view of the hills sloping down to the sea is truly beautiful. Simple, genuine, traditional cooking. It is also possible to have pizza in the evening (all year round). Mobile phone: +39 3663582213-+ 39 3407785499
The La Taverna di Bova Restaurant. This elegant restaurant in the centre of Bova is situated at about 50 metres from the square, seats guests both inside and outside and uses a wood-fired oven. In summer it also acts as a pizzeria and serves typical local dishes. Mobile phones +39 3409120521 and + 39 3401216375
The Il Cielo di Bova rural hospitality farmstead.
This guesthouse, in the Milì district, 10 minutes from the centre of Bova, has also got a lovely restaurant in an ancient oil mill on the “old” road linking Bova and Bova Marina. The greatest attention has been paid to the décor of its indoor and outdoor dining areas. The cuisine is traditional and refined. In the evening you may also order pizza.
Mobile phone: +39 329 7162661
The KALÒS B&B applies prices, of which it has informed the offices of the Province of Reggio Calabria, all year round:
- €50 / per day twin-bed / double-bed, with breakfast
• €35 / per day in a double room, used as a single, with breakfast
• Children under 5 years are free (in crib or cot)
• Family-friendly services provided free of charge (cot / crib, high chair, stroller, the Graecanic Area Guidebook for children)
• Use of the washing machine free of charge
• A discount of 10% on stays of more than two nights.
• Free copy of the Pucambù Guidebook of the Graecanic Area (1 per room)
Methods of payment
Cash and Bank transfer
- Conditioned Air
The Capital of Greek Calabria and one of Italy’s most beautiful historic centres, the origins of Bova go far back in history. The foundation of Bova is attributed to the legendary Greek queen, Oichista, who is said to have left her footprint on the highest point of the fortress that towers over the town.
The remote origins of the city of Bova (Vua) have been confirmed by several archaeological finds from the Neolithic period, brought to light in the vicinity of the Norman Castle, while historical documentary evidence, testifying to the existence of Bova, goes back to the beginning of the second millennium AD, when, between 1040 and 1064, the Normans ousted the Arabs and Byzantines from power in Sicily and Calabria.
In Greek it is called Boos, in the local dialect Vua. It may be a Latinised form of the Greek boua (flock) from bous (ox). Some hold that the name comes from the Mediaeval Greek boua, meaning a trench full of grain.
HAMLETS AND TOWNLANDS
Brigha, Polemo, Caloghiero, Cavalli, Vunemo.
Bova is the Greek-speaking heart of the region and it is not surprising that the term Bovesìa indicates the entire Graecanic Area.
Inhabited continuously from Neolithic times, the Bova’s Rocca was probably a Magna-Graecian fortress on the borders of the poleis of Reggio and Locri. At the end of the sixth century AD, thanks to its strategic position, the site seems to have been chosen as a refuge by inhabitants fleeing from the coast when barbarian hordes, probably Lombards, burned the Roman statio of Scyle, situated, most likely, in the present-day San Pasquale area of Bova Marina. It is highly probable that Bova, like many other historical centres of southern Calabria, was fortified against Saracen raids, to become a diocesan headquarters, as early as the tenth century. Conquered by the Normans, it became the fiefdom of Guglielmo when the bishopric was held by Luke (1095 -1140), proclaimed a saint after he acted as mediator between the Latin Church and the Greek faithful for the entire southern area of Reggio. In 1162, the diocese was donated as a fiefdom to the Archbishop of Reggio and remained such until 1806. The diocesan headquarters of Bova kept the Greek-Byzantine liturgical rite alive until 1572, when, adhering to the Tridentine rules, the Armenian Bishop, Julius Stavriano, suppressed it. Bova was one of the last Italian dioceses to be Latinised by the Roman Catholic Church, whose power was consolidated in Calabria as late as the seventeenth century, the period to which most of the architectural heritage of Bova belongs. Although the capital of Graecanic Calabria has maintained its medieval urban layout, the town has been enriched by late-Baroque buildings and monumental, eighteenth-century palaces. Of particular note are the façades of the churches of San Leo, erected in 1606, San Rocco and Spirito Santo built, respectively, in 1622 and 1631. Worthy of note are the side-aisle portal of the Isodia co-Cathedral, dating from the end of the seventeenth century and the delicate façades of the Chiesa del Carmine and the Church of the Immacolata both built in the eighteenth century. In most of the town’s places of worship it is possible to admire precious late sixteenth-century sculptures, like the Isodia Madonna by Rinaldo Bonanno (1584), the Madonna and Child (1590), attributed to the Bonanno school and now in the church of Santa Caterina, as well as the statue of San Leo (1582), the authorship of which is uncertain and which may be admired in the homonymous sanctuary.
In modern times, Bova has given birth to Bruno Casile, whom Pier Paolo Pasolini defined “the peasant poet”, and to Agostino Siviglia, another great Graecanic poet.
EXPLORING THE HISTORIC CENTRE
The Chòra [City] stands at 820 metres above sea level.
Upon arriving in Bova, visitors become awestruck. In a clearing facing the main square, stands one of the symbols of emigration, a 740 Ansaldo-Breda locomotive from 1911, the Italian State Railway Company’s most emblematic steam engine. Then their gaze falls on the imposing Palazzo dei Nesci Sant’Agata, with its crenelated arch, erected in 1822. Overlooking the main square stands the Town Hall, built at the beginning of the twentieth century on the foundations of Palazzo Marzano, of which only the neighbouring family chapel, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception, remains to house the town’s present-day tourist information office. Behind it stands the Sanctuary of San Leo, the town’s patron saint, Saint Leo, an Italo-Greek monk who lived during the twelfth century in the vicinity of Africo Vecchio. His mortal remains are preserved in a silver urn commissioned in 1855, in Naples, by Antonino Marzano. The casket, in silver, is surmounted by a beautiful silver bust portraying the saint, the work of a Messinese silversmith in 1635. On the altar, consecrated in 1755, stands a marble statue of Saint Leo, holding an axe and a ball of pitch, iconographical references to his work as a picaro (resin harvester) something he undertook to earn the means to practice charity. Sculpted in 1582, it is considered the masterpiece of Rinaldo Bonanno, though some do not exclude the hypothesis that Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s father, Pietro, may have had a hand in it. According to others, it is by Michelangelo Naccherino, a Florentine artist who worked in the Kingdom of Naples during the second half of the sixteenth century. Behind the church stands the Gateway to the Aspromonte National Park, where one can visit an original exhibition providing a suggestive summary of the Graecanic cultural tradition. One thousand steps lead up to the fortress that towers over the town at an altitude of 950 metres above sea level. This Ancient fortress, which dates from Byzantine times, was rebuilt in both Norman and Angevin times, the epoch to which the few remaining remnants of the outer walls belong. At the foot of the fortress stands the Cathedral of the Isodia, a Byzantine title indicating the Virgin Mary on the occasion of her presentation in the Temple by her mother Saint Anne. In 1572, in this church the Cypriot bishop, Giulio Stavriano, abolished the Byzantine rite, thus proclaiming the completion of the Latinisation of the southernmost area of the Italian peninsula. Following the outline of the rock faces surrounding Bova one catches a glimpse of the last of the towers which, from Angevin times (thirteenth-fourteenth centuries), encircle the city. The quarter known as Pirgoli, (in Greek “towers”) was once Bova’s giudecca. Its southern gateway was incorporated into the arch uniting the two wings of the Mesiano Mazzacuva Palace, rebuilt after the earthquake of 1783. The church of San Rocco, built at the ancient entrance to the town at the end of the plague epidemic of 1577 is also worth visiting. The building was probably completed in 1622, the year in which, according to an inscription on the building, the main portal was built. The church houses a nineteenth-century wooden statue of San Rocco.
The town is also home to two important museums: the Museo della Lingua Grecanica [Museum of the Calabrian-Greek language] dedicated to Gerhard Rohlfs, a well-known German linguist who informed the entire world of the ancient origins of this language and the Museo Civico di Paleontologia e Scienze Naturali dell’Aspromonte [The Civic Museum of Palaeontology and Natural Sciences of the Aspromonte], both situated at the entrance to the city. In the ancient Rao zone, near the Mucicipal Square stands the Museo all’aperto della Civiltà Contadina [The Open-air Museum of Peasant Civilisation] inaugurated recently thanks to the endeavours of Saverio Micheletta, a Bovese emigrant who sought to immortalise memories of his childhood by exhibiting objects from the everyday agro-pastoral life of his homeland.
TRADITIONS AND HANDICRAFTS
Bova is one of the few villages which continue many of the ancient customs and traditions.
Here the local crafts have profound, remote roots, of which weaving is one of the finest. Weavers traditionally used a handloom to turn the natural materials, wool, linen, cotton and broom, into fabric, which, with three panels sewn together, formed the famous vutane blanket or bedspread. The most common patterns, dating back to the Byzantine era are the “mattunarico“, the “telizio“, the “greco“, and the “muddare“.
The other historic craft typical of this place is woodcarving. Originally, finely whittled wooden objects were produced by the local shepherds: frames, cake pans (plumia), spoons (mistre) and especially the musulupare, moulds for the traditional Aspromontese “musulupu” cheese.
The local cuisine provides tastes and colours that are deliciously and exclusively Mediterranean, though its origin is undeniably Graecanic. Characterised by products of the agro-pastoral tradition, the cuisine here is based on goat’s milk, tomatoes, olive oil, the ingredients of delicacies like maccarruni cu sucu di crap [macaroni with goat’s-meat ragout] cordeddi [strips of homemade pasta] in tomato sauce, tagghiarini [finely cut homemade tagliatella-type pasta] with chickpeas, the ricchi di previti [priests’ ears] with tomato, capra alla vutana [stewed goat’s meat, garnished with herbs and vegetables]. Highly sought after here are cured meats [sausage, capocollo (rolled neck), brawn], cheeses, including ricotta and musulupi [a fresh cheese eaten at Easte]) and confectionary, like Christmastide pretali , the traditional Eastertime ‘nghute, the scaddateddi, doughnuts with caraway seeds. It is a must to taste lestopitta [literally quick bread] , a pancake made of flour and water, fried in oil and eaten hot.
Continua a leggere